Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be still wiser; teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.
During my lunch hour one day at work, I was just paging through the internet and found a blog that really caught my eye. It was titled, “50 Things Everyone Should Know How to do” Wow. How interesting. So I scrolled down the list and was quite surprised by the things listed. So I got to thinking. This is a world secular view of the 50 things all of us need to know. What about things we should know from a spiritual viewpoint; like Prayer. I’ve trimmed the lists down to 5 things, but the exercise is the same. So below are two lists: a Secular Viewpoint and a Spiritual Viewpoint.
Secular Viewpoint –
5 Things Everyone Should Know How to Do.
1. Build a Fire – Fire produces heat and light, two basic necessities for living. At some point in your life this knowledge may be vital.
2. Operate a Computer – Fundamental computer knowledge is essential these days. Please, help those in need.
3. Use Google Effectively – Google knows everything. If you’re having trouble finding something with Google, it’s you that needs help.
4. Perform CPR and the Heimlich Maneuver – Someday it may be your wife, husband, son or daughter that needs help.
5. Drive a Manual Transmission Vehicle – There will come a time when you’ll be stuck without this knowledge.
5 Things Everyone Should Know About Prayer (from The Word of God). I chose these 5 but God’s Word is filled with lots of “things everyone should know”. Hallelujah!
1. God hears and answers ALL prayer – The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears, and delivers them out of all their troubles. Psalm 34:17 NKJV
2. Your prayers need not be wordy or impressive in speech, but a conversation with God – And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words. Matthew 6:7 NKJV
3. Prayer develops our relationship with God – Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know. Jeremiah 33:3 NKJV
4. The Holy Spirit will help you in prayer when you don’t know how to pray – Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God. Romans 8:26-27 NKJV
5. Jesus is our model for Intercessory Prayer – Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them. Hebrews 7:25 NKJV
So I guess I need to ask. Which list is important to you?
Dear Lord, thank You that Your Word is filled with wisdom and knowledge. It is filled with Your Will, Your guidance, Your direction, Your love, Your peace, Your commands. All of which are designed specifically for each of us as we pray to You. Help us Lord to know Your Word and Your ways. In Jesus Name. AMEN.
Don’t believe me, believe God!